Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Bits and pieces

1. A recent paper on topos theory claims "one can generate a huge number of new results in any mathematical field without any creative effort".

This does not seem to me plausible, at least if interesting new results are intended. I await the evidence as it develops.

2. Research activity hinders the application for research funds: During the week of 13-19 June I was hosting two international visitors and organized a miniconference in Como on 15-16 June. On the Sunday I went to Genova for the annual international meeting (CT2010) in my subject with more than 120 attendees from more than 25 countries. (I was on the Organizing and Scientific committees as well as being a speaker.) After the conference a third international scientist visited me in Como.

As a result of this activity I was unable to apply for postdoctoral positions at the University of Insubria next year. I received details on how to apply Thursday 17th June, which applications had to be presented by 9am Monday 21 June.

The usual complaint is that making grant applications hinders research.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Alex64 said...

Why do you think that the statement in Caramello's paper is absurd? Do you have any technical reasons for saying this?

I have read the paper and the claim seems absolutely reasonable to me (the many examples given by the author show that the approach is very promising).

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home